Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Is Time such a great healer?

We are coming up to the anniversary of my Dad's death. 

He died, out of the blue, 17 years ago. 
He was 54. I was 27. Sudden death from a heart attack. 

I woke up to the phone ringing. It was early. It was my Mum. 
'Emma, it's me. Can you come out. Dad has died.' 
I just remember saying 'No' and telling her we would be out there as soon as we could. 

I was sharing a house with my brother. 
'Dale, wake up. That was Mum on the phone. Dad has died'. 

I wonder if he has flashbacks of me telling him, as I do of me telling him. I can still see his face. The horror. The shock. The disbelief. I will always hear my Mum's words in my ears. Words that can be replayed at any time & feel as raw as the first time I first heard them. 

No chance to say goodbye. Just gone. Ended. Over. 

I spent the 1st year afterwards coping very well. Or so you would have thought. In fact, I wasn't dealing with it at all. I was in shock. I was numb. But I carried on.  I was the organiser. I rang the family. I shared the news. I worried about other people's feelings. I made sure everyone else was ok. 

My Mum was a mess. That day I stopped being someone's daughter & became a parent. A parent who had never given birth. 

A year later, I fell apart. The grief kicked in. Nobody understood. Shouldn't I have been over it by now? A year is no time at all in the world of grief. It's just getting started, not coming to an end. 

Honestly, it took me 7 years to think about my Dad dying without feeling like I'd been stabbed in the heart & needed to gasp for breath. 

Before Lola was born, I felt like I was getting used to the idea. I missed him but  was getting used to him not being around. Getting used to not seeing him, not talking to him, not laughing with him. 

When Lola was born I felt like like the grieving started all over again. I was sad for my daughter, I was sad for my Dad, grieving for the lack of opportunity. That these 2 amazing people would never meet. We were all robbed. Now it's not just my birthday he's missing, now he will be missing my daughter's Birthday too. 
Every special occasion, every Christmas, he's missing. 

I wonder what he would of made of Lola. I wonder how he would of been with her. I'm so gutted that Lola has been robbed of a Grandfather. I'm now grieving for her too. I'm angry on her behalf. 

They say time is a great healer. 

Has time healed me? No. 
Sometimes I don't think I'll ever be 'over it'. 

Death is the only thing in life that's guaranteed & yet the hardest thing to come to terms with. 

I miss my Dad. 

8 comments:

  1. Today is the anniversary of my dad's death, I was younger than you, 17 but my dad was around the same age as yours, and it was a brain aneurysm so very sudden with no chance to say goodbye. Your post reads like mine would, becoming responsible for a grieving mother, and not dealing with the death.
    I don't think it's something you can get over and maybe it's because we shouldn't. Sorry for the rambling, my head isn't quite here today
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're not rambling & even if you were it would be forgiven!! I'm sorry for your loss, 17 is too young to lose your father. Sending hugs your way xx

      Delete
    2. That shows how well my brain isn't working I was meant to put 15, not 17, thank you for the hugs, sending some your way too xxxx

      Delete
  2. Ahhh what a beautiful post - your Dad will be so proud of you and what a wonderful little girl you are raising. I'm so sorry for your loss. You are right, grief never really leaves us. My Dad left us when I was 22 and I haven't seen him since (his choice, not mine) - that first year was exactly as you describe, I was the strong one looking after my Mum who's world fell apart. I was so angry. Now I very rarely think about him, but every once in a while the tears will come out of the blue. With time we accept, but we don't heal. Sending big hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lins, so sorry to hear about your Dad, he is missing out on a lovely lady xx

      Delete
  3. Beautiful post Emma. So sorry for your loss. I lost my sister to leukaemia in 2007 when she was 46. I was like you for the first year, making every effort to be (and appear to be) strong and together then just under a year of it happening I fell apart. Took me about three years to piece myself back together. I still miss her and think about her most days. She was a good mate above all else and it's grieving that we'll never get to share a giggle again. Still feels like a large part of me is missing.

    Sure your dad would be very proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mygreenfuse x
      I'm so sorry for the loss of your sister, you grow up knowing that you will lose your parents, it must be terribly hard to lose a sibling & adjust to life with them not being around.
      I know what you mean about the laughs, I spent a lot of years hearing stuff & immediately thinking of my Dad finding it funny. I miss hearing him laugh. I miss him making me laugh. Xx

      Delete