Monday, July 14, 2014

I want my Daddy



I have told Lola many times that her Father is a Donor. 

When she was a newborn, I would whisper to her our story & tell her just how grateful I was that she was here. 

Last year L went through a phase of calling me 'MummyDaddy' & a couple of her (older) friends had asked where L's father was. 

At the time, I did some serious thinking about what I was going to tell her and her inquisitive friends. (Please see previous posts!) 
I have always been determined to be completely honest but I became very conscious of what language I should use. I wondered how much information was appropriate for a small toddler mind. 

I told L that her Father was a very special man, that he was a Donor & that she could find out more about him when she was older. 
For a while, this information was enough. Until recently. 

This Summer we visited my Brother & family. L heard her cousin calling him Daddy & so addressed him as Daddy too. 
My brother quickly corrected her & told her that he was not her Daddy, he was her Uncle. (He is known to her as Uncle D so this clicked pretty quickly) 

Once we got home, L said to me "I want my Daddy". 
I pulled her on my lap and decided that it was time that I told her more details. 

I told her that I had really wanted a baby but that I hadn't met the right man to be her Daddy. 
I said that I had heard of a man who could help me called Dr Shakka. I said that he knew a very nice man who was a donor. 
I told her that Dr Shakka then took Mummy's eggs & Daddy Donor's sperm and mixed them together. 
I told her a miracle happened & they became an embryo. The embryo was then put back in Mummy's tummy, where it grew & grew into a beautiful Baby Lola. 

L has seen all my pregnancy bump pics & knows that she was once in my tummy. She often looks at the photos & talks about Baby Lola getting "bigger & bigger & bigger". 

Again I told her that her Donor was an amazing man & that she could find out more about him when she was older. 

I asked her if she'd like me to tell her the story again & she said yes. So we lay on the bed cuddling as I told her our story again. 

The next day, her 1st words were "My Daddy's a Donor"
I said "Yes, your Daddy's a donor". That was enough to satisfy her curiosity for a couple of days.  

Since then, she has asked me to tell her again about Dr Shakka, the Donor & baby Lola. 

She announced "My Daddy's a Donor" to a busy waiting room the other day! 

Again today she said "I want my Dad" so I pulled her close & told her our story again. 

Tonight I made the mistake of reading a couple of blog posts written by Donor Conceived adults. 
They've talked of their struggles, their sense of injustice & that donating sperm/ eggs should be outlawed. 
They talk of feeling robbed, that the worst bit is 'the unknown' & that they feel lost not knowing more about their genetic parentage.  (It is worth pointing out that a majority of them were told late or lied to about their origins) 

This makes me feel terrible. It makes me feel guilty. It makes me feel sad. 
I feel bad that L doesn't have a relationship with a / her Father. 

Does he wonder about her? What kind of man donates his sperm? 
Why would you? I wonder what his motives were & whether he will agree to meet Lola & answer her questions about himself & his family. 

What if he's no longer alive by the time L is old enough to search for him? What if he refuses contact?  Her questions will be unanswered for ever. 

These are all things I didn't give full consideration to when deciding to have a baby alone. Surely these are topics that should be brought up in the compulsory counselling.  

Would I have changed my mind? I doubt it. I wanted a child so badly. 
She was the best decision I ever made & she has made me happier than I have ever been. 

But I worry that she will struggle because of the decisions I made in pursuit of my own happiness.  

Don't get me wrong, I don't feel bad or guilty on a daily basis, it tends to be when I stumble across a sad post from someone who is Donor Concieved or like tonight, after sobbing my way through an episode of Long Lost Family! 

I really must search out more Donor Concieved Adults who hopefully have a happier and more positive story to tell. 

4 comments:

  1. Emma you could say this about any baby. A man could impregnate someone then do a runner forever. Or a child could have a father & them suddenly walk out their lives forever. Life is a crazy things and yes whilst you and you alone chose to have Lola the fact you have been so open and honest is pretty amazing. Remember- life is crazy. And whilst you have to shoulder all these thoughts alone remember in the "perfect setup" this can also happen xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Beth. You're so right, people can have the perfect set up & things still go wrong. I guessing just conscious that L may well have issues with being DC & I'd like to do all I can to help her be as well adjusted as is possible. I know everyone has issues of one kind or another, I just feel I'd like to do all I can to make it as easier ride as possible :) xx

      Delete
  2. Any chance you'd make her story into a book? Our daughter is an IUI baby and we made her a picture book using simple language and our photographs on snapfish. I'm sure you could grab any photo book groupon and give it a try so she has the story forever and can look at it or have you read it whenever she wants. We kept the words short and I'm sure when she's older she'll want more info but away 2.5 she just loves the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a fabulous idea, thank you!!! I shall definitely do that xx

      Delete